Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My Opinion from the Passenger Seat


There was only person that I acknowledged at the WSOP this summer. Only one person out of endless pros that I said "I respect you". This person doesn't have tons of accolades or plays for hundreds of thousands. It was Bart Hanson. He does a podcast on deucescracked.com called Deuce Plays. I just think it is well done and definitely more than just something to pass the time.


The latest episode he had a co-host named Limon. Limon and Bart are both live NLHE cash game pros from California. They touched up on a lot of key concepts for mid-stakes No-Limit that I think are very valuable to low-limit live games as well.

One component they touched up on, that I was in the midst of writing about on here is table selection...


As a dealer, the question I mainly get asked is "have you ever dealt a Royal Flush?" or "Have you ever dealt to any pros?". The answers are yes and yes, but they don't make for good conversation.

I would like to be once asked what I think is the biggest mistake I see players make in live poker. I can see why I am not asked... most dealers just are not observant enough and frankly are piss poor poker players. I tend to think I am pretty poor player, but with the want/desire to get better; therefore, I have my opinions on what people do poorly.

And the thing I think most people do poorly is selecting the table they will play their session on...


The other night I was dealing a rotation of 3 different 1/2 NLHE tables. All of them playing significantly different. One was especially different, in that the table was full of regulars. Why? I don't think they are regulars just for a good time and to see each other. If they are... well, great... but I just don't see it. They are mostly there in the hopes that they can make a little extra money. I am sure none of these guys are doing it for a living, as the win rate in that game cannot be good enough to make a decent living.

If I was a regular I would be loving the fact these guys want to play together (or at least seem to), more fish for me to deal with. Not that these guys were amazing players (though one of them really did impress me), but there was such inferior talent at these other tables that they should have spread out. I can guarantee you that if you are a 1/2 or 2/5 player at Foxwoods and you take your time carefully to scope out he table you want to be playing your session on you will fare out a lot better. Especially since this is a concept that seems even the better players for the games seem to not be paying attention to.


You can listen to Deuce Plays here....


Listen to the episode 37 if you are a live player. Hell, listen to all of them.


Also, you can read my previous blog, which was about my 2009 WSOP dealing experience here...



I have been told that I cannot make any posts promoting Foxwoods on 2+2 anymore. Even though I feel I was not trying to promote players to play there I will oblige. Therefore, if you like this blog... bookmark it.


Also, I have been told that a HORSE game will be attempted to run every Wednesday and Saturday nights. Since, I do love dealing this game... I will go ahead and "promote" that.


To end it all...

I am curious as to if we will have concrete rules and procedures for the WPT events, or if it will just be the basic rules!

For those of you that are confused as to why we don't have gaming procedures and rules on our website...I think our, and most other card rooms, basic rules are for the most part written in Robert's Rules, listed here...



Joao






No comments:

Post a Comment